Sunday, May 4, 2014

Lovin Me Some Lace

A friend of mine is getting her start in the formal gown and lingerie business and she has bestowed upon me the privileged of creating a set or two of gloves and a shrug for an upcoming event in August! It's so exciting and intimidating.

 I don't want to just find someone else's pattern and reproduce it. I'm always worrying that even if they don't say its only for personal and private use that I'll step on toes. If I make my own I don't have to worry! I'm super comfortable with gloves and am confident in my chart reading so I think its time for me to make an effort. Heck, in all honesty you just have to do a swatch and and figure out what lace pattern works for what you do!

Considering the formal aspect I feel that accessories should reflect the design which means I need to start getting myself all sorts of familiarized with new stitches. I know some basics but most of what I know to make involves a set stockinette stitch pattern along with a solid pattern. I love that but when I think formal I think ethereal, dainty and light weight. For this season anyway :P I checked out books at the library and there are stunning stitches but not the ones I'm looking for. So....TO THE INTERWEBS and consequently I found and epic sight. Knitting Fool. I'm totally in love! there are hundreds and hundreds of stitches and charts and swatches. I totally squealed. 

I've found some potential stitches for the gloves (they are going to be for her marine corps ballgown)


Stripes with Twisted Bars





English Lace Mesh



Cardigan Mesh Lace


 I'll admit I have shrugs on the brain after completing the one for my friend. I fell in love with a shawl that used the Lily of the Valley stitch and I'd like to adjust the shrug pattern to use it.

I love lilies of the Valley, 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment